Dental Crowns: What They Are and How They Can Help Your Smile
If you have a tooth that’s severely damaged or decayed, you may be wondering what your options are. One option to consider is a dental crown. Dental crowns are a popular solution for teeth that are damaged or weakened, providing protection, strength, and aesthetic benefits. At Westchester Smile Design, we offer a range of dental crown options to suit the unique needs of each patient.
What is a Dental Crown?
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped cap that’s placed over an existing tooth, covering it completely. Crowns are designed to restore the shape, size, strength, and appearance of a tooth that’s been damaged, weakened, or cosmetically flawed. They can be made from a variety of materials, including porcelain, ceramic, metal, or a combination of materials. At Westchester Smile Design, we offer a range of crown materials to suit each patient’s individual needs and preferences.
Why Might You Need a Dental Crown?
There are several reasons why you might need a dental crown. Some of the most common include:
- Tooth Decay: If a tooth is severely decayed, a crown can be used to protect the remaining healthy tooth structure and prevent further decay.
- Cracks or Chips: A tooth that’s cracked or chipped can be strengthened and protected with a crown, reducing the risk of further damage.
- Root Canal Treatment: After a root canal, a tooth may become weak and brittle. A crown can be used to restore strength and protect the tooth from future damage.
- Large Fillings: If a tooth has a large filling, it may be at risk of cracking or breaking. A crown can be used to support the tooth and prevent further damage.
- Cosmetic Enhancement: Crowns can also be used for cosmetic purposes, to improve the appearance of a tooth that’s discolored, misshapen, or otherwise flawed.
The Dental Crown Procedure
The dental crown procedure typically takes two visits to complete. During the first visit, your dentist will prepare the tooth by removing any decay or damage and shaping it to fit the crown. An impression of the tooth will be taken and sent to a dental lab, where the crown will be fabricated to fit your specific needs. In the meantime, a temporary crown will be placed on the tooth to protect it.
Once the final crown is ready, you’ll return to our office for a second appointment. Your dentist will remove the temporary crown and place the final crown onto the prepared tooth. The crown will be checked for fit and bite, and any necessary adjustments will be made before it’s permanently cemented into place.
Caring for Your Dental Crown
Caring for a dental crown is similar to caring for your natural teeth. Be sure to brush twice a day, floss daily, and visit your dentist regularly for cleanings and check-ups. Avoid chewing on hard objects or using your teeth to open packages or bottles, as this can cause damage to the crown. With proper care, your crown can last for many years, providing protection and aesthetic benefits to your smile.
At Westchester Smile Design, we’re dedicated to helping our patients achieve healthy, beautiful smiles. If you’re interested in learning more about dental crowns and how they can benefit your smile, contact our office to schedule a consultation today.
If you have a damaged or weakened tooth, a dental crown may be the solution you’ve been looking for.
Contact Westchester Smile Design today to schedule a consultation and find out if a dental crown is right for you.