Periodontics: The Treatment and Prevention of Gum Disease
Gum disease is a common dental problem that affects many people, from mild gingivitis to severe periodontitis. Periodontics is a branch of dentistry that focuses on the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of gum disease. At Westchester Smile Design, our periodontal specialists have extensive experience in managing all types of gum disease, from the early stages to advanced cases.
What is Gum Disease?
Gum disease is an infection of the tissues that support and surround the teeth. The condition is caused by plaque buildup, which is a sticky film of bacteria that forms on teeth and gums. If left untreated, gum disease can lead to tooth loss, bone loss, and other serious health problems.
Types of Gum Disease
There are two main types of gum disease:
- Gingivitis – This is the earliest stage of gum disease and is characterized by red, swollen, and bleeding gums.
- Periodontitis – This is a more advanced stage of gum disease and is characterized by the destruction of the bone and tissues that support the teeth. If left untreated, periodontitis can lead to tooth loss.
Symptoms of Gum Disease
The following are some common symptoms of gum disease:
- Red, swollen, or bleeding gums
- Bad breath or a bad taste in the mouth
- Loose teeth
- Pain or discomfort when chewing
- Receding gums
- Pus between the teeth and gums
Treatment for Gum Disease
The treatment for gum disease depends on the severity of the condition. At Westchester Smile Design, our periodontal specialists will evaluate your specific condition and create a personalized treatment plan to meet your needs.
Some common treatments for gum disease include:
- Scaling and Root Planing – This is a deep cleaning treatment that removes plaque and tartar from the teeth and gums.
- Gum Grafting – This is a surgical procedure that replaces damaged gum tissue with healthy tissue from another part of the mouth.
- Pocket Reduction Surgery – This is a surgical procedure that reduces the size of the pockets between the teeth and gums, making it easier to clean the area and prevent further damage.
Preventing Gum Disease
Preventing gum disease starts with good oral hygiene habits. Here are some tips to help you prevent gum disease:
- Brush your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste
- Floss daily to remove plaque and food particles from between your teeth
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash to kill bacteria and freshen your breath
- Eat a healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables
- Avoid smoking and tobacco use
Regular dental checkups and cleanings are also important for preventing gum disease. During your checkup, our periodontal specialists will evaluate your oral health and check for signs of gum disease.
If you are experiencing symptoms of gum disease or have concerns about your oral health, contact Westchester Smile Design to schedule an appointment with one of our periodontal specialists. We are committed to helping you achieve and maintain optimal oral health.